Wednesday, December 4, 2013

Location. Location. Location.

I spoke to my brother, who is a real estate agent in Florida, last night. He confirmed a lot of what I thought about the process of building a new home, but gave me one critical insight. "New construction sales people will do ANYTHING that they can to sell the worst lots, first," he told me. All of a sudden, it clicked that it was exactly what they were trying to do.

Today, on my lunch, I drove by the lots that we looked at at dusk last night. Even in the light midday traffic, there was a very noticeable hum from the front yard. I ruined a pair of shoes doing it, but I hiked across the muddy yard to check the noise level from the back of the lot and it was very loud. Loud enough that if you had a cookout in the back yard, you would have to significantly raise your voice constantly to have a conversation. Aside from putting a hideous sound-proofing wall all along the property, if it is even allowed, I don't think that there is anything one can do to mitigate the sound. The worst part of all, however, was that when I left, I went south on Mt. Nebo road, and confirmed that the lots are completely visible from the road. The entire rear of the home and backyard are plainly visible to the main road, and partially visible from the highway.

That was the end of it for both my wife and me. There was no way that those lots would work for us.

No comments:

Post a Comment